Located in Spartanburg, South Carolina, Spartanburg Water is an award-winning utility that offers team members a culture of innovation, a history of excellence and an investment in their continued success.
Nestled in the Piedmont region of South Carolina and a short drive away from the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains and ever-popular beaches of the South Carolina Lowcountry, Spartanburg is a thriving and growing community that is home to seven diverse and well-known institutions of higher learning. Residents enjoy incredible outdoor recreation opportunities, an eclectic and delicious local restaurant and brewery scene, a vibrant cultural environment and the benefits of strong economic growth with an affordable cost of living.
INNOVATION: Through innovative technologies and industry leading practices, Spartanburg Water has had the honor of twice receiving recognition as a Utility of the Future Today – and as one of only two South Carolina utilities to ever receive the award and only one of 18 utilities globally to receive the honor a second time.
HISTORY: Through sustainability and resiliency, Spartanburg Water has consistently provided the highest quality drinking water and wastewater services to our region for more than 100 years, and continues to be a vital part of the area’s successful economic growth and development.
INVESTMENT: Spartanburg Water offers a generous compensation package, including full medical, dental and vision benefits and participation in the SC Retirement System. The organization also offers tuition reimbursement and opportunities for paid certifications and training. Spartanburg Water firmly believes in the importance of investing in the health, security, and potential of all team members.
Job Skills / Requirements
Under general supervision, diagnoses, repairs and maintains automotive and heavy construction equipment, small engines and other related equipment. Reports to Fleet Services Section Manager.
- Performs various technical tasks associated with gasoline and diesel vehicle and equipment maintenance and repair including troubleshooting, repairing/maintaining all vehicle components and systems such as electrical, fuel, hydraulic, suspension, drive train, cooling, power train, brake emissions, rebuilding gasoline and diesel engines, rebuilding carburetors, repacking hydraulic cylinders, repairing drive lines and rear ends, minor body damage repair, etc
- Performs preventive maintenance on gasoline and diesel equipment such as replacing brakes, changing oil and filter, lubricating, replacing hoses and belts, replacing hydraulic hoses, valves and cylinders, checking pressure systems, tire repair, etc.
- Utilizes and maintains various types of references, equipment and tools including OTC on-board diagnostic equipment, software repair manuals, standard repair manuals, mechanics hand tools, welder, torch, hydraulic floor lifts, steam cleaner, bench grinder, side grinder, part pullers, tire changer, tire balancer, hydraulic hose machine, jack stands, air impact wrenches, battery tester, charge system tester, anti-freeze tester, mobile fuel dispenser, etc.
- Runs service calls as needed during regular hours to service, repair, fuel, etc. various equipment and vehicles.
- Provides recommendations regarding equipment maintenance history on condition and serviceability, and the outsourcing of repair work to outside contractors as needed based on workload, work required to be performed, etc.
- Prepares, processes and/or transmits vehicle maintenance reports, time sheets, gas reports, cleaning reports, supply request forms, etc.
- Performs duties and responsibilities as necessary on an on-call basis after normal shift has ended.
- Maintains work areas in a clean and orderly manner to promote effective and safe environment by removing potential trip hazards, spill contaminants and clean up, etc. and utilizes safe methods of operating equipment and machinery in order to ensure safety of self and others according to company safety procedures.
- Receives, reviews, prepares and processes various forms and documents including preventive maintenance schedules, daily work orders, fuel tickets, purchase orders, billing invoices, time sheets, electrical diagrams, diagnostic reports, preventive maintenance work orders, etc.
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals including customers, trainee, coordinators, supervisors, inventory control representatives, consultants, etc.
- Is able to operate, repair, and perform preventive maintenance on weedeaters, mowers, tractors, pipesaws, hand and power tools, earth compactors, wacker tamps, broom tractors, pavement rollers, air pumps and tamps, blowers, boring machines, drilling machines, sewer line smokers and cleaning machines, septic tank pumper trucks, water jet machines, air compressors, generators, etc.
- Performs other related duties as required.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Vocational/technical school training in mechanics and 5 years’ experience in automotive repair, or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Must possess valid S. C. Driver's License. S.A.E. certification preferred.
Education Requirements (Any)
High School diploma or equivalent
Additional Information / Benefits
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Pension/Retirement, Educational Assistance
This job reports to the Fleet Services Section Manager
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 2