With national offices in Louisville, Kentucky, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) focuses on the national and international mission work of the church. It serves and works with congregations, presbyteries, and synods as the central provider of resources that enable individuals, congregations, and governing bodies to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the world. The work at the Presbyterian Center is carried out by approximately 400 staff members in several national entities: Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Investment and Loan, Presbyterian Mission Agency, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation and Presbyterian Women.
Position Purpose: The CFO/COO provides high-level management and oversight of the financial system of the PC(USA) and management of key administrative services.
1. Provides management and oversight to all finance functions, including financial reporting, accounting, banking, tax, compliance, and budgeting. Serves as the key point of contact with external auditors, works to assure ‘clean’ audits and acts effectively on any audit exceptions or recommendations.
2. Provides management and oversight to Internal Audit, Information Technology, Building Services, Mail and Print Services, and Presbyterian Distribution Services/Hubbard Press.
3. Responsible for optimizing the investment of the organization’s funds through sound management of short-term investments and maintaining an effective working relationship with the Presbyterian Foundation, which manages PMA’s medium and long-term investments.
4. Serves on the ASG Leadership Team and in a variety of other ways across the PC(USA) agencies and entities. Provides leadership which fosters a spirit of collaboration and responsiveness will be critical to demonstrating the value of open communication and collaboration.
5. Serve as the management liaison to board and audit committees; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at select board of directors and committee meetings.
Essential Position Requirements:
- Master’s degree in finance, accounting or business or equivalent combination of education and experience. CPA preferred.
- Ten+ years in progressively responsible leadership roles with at least five years serving as a member of senior management.
- Previous experience in a Chief Financial Officer role
- Leadership responsibility for Finance/Accounting and other support departments such as Information Technology, Building Services, etc.
- Experience working in a faith-based or non-profit environment strongly preferred.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to set a vision and develop strategic plans. Must be able to interpret strategic vision into operational-tactical plans and build consensus to execute strategy.
- Experience gathering and evaluating financial information and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership.
- Effective communicator at all levels in the organization, with strong oral and written skills and a willingness to share information.
- Well-grounded management skills, with proven experience in successfully running internal operations in a transparent and accountable organization.
- Knowledge of PC(USA) structure, history, and culture.
- Occasional travel required. This position will travel domestically several times a year and may travel internationally, by air and other means of transportation.
- Ability to communicate and converse verbally. This position frequently speaks and makes presentations to small and large gatherings of people.
- Requires the ability to work evening/weekend hours on occasion.
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Pension Plan, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
Vacation Days, Sick Days, Paid Holidays
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates from Presbyterian communities in the global south and other historic Presbyterian Communities of Color, preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply.
Individuals living with disability encouraged to apply.
This job reports to the President
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1