With national offices in Louisville, Kentucky, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) focuses on the national and international mission work of the church. It serves and works with congregations, presbyteries, and synods as the central provider of resources that enable individuals, congregations, and governing bodies to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the world. The work at the Presbyterian Center is carried out by approximately 400 staff members in several national entities: Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Investment and Loan, Presbyterian Mission Agency, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation and Presbyterian Women.
Provide management and assist with the smooth and effective operation of the RE&WIM ministry area. Lead both the administrative and programmatic functions in the ministry area. Reporting to the Director of RE&WIM, the Associate Director is responsible for implementing the strategic direction and work plan of RE&WIM, including supervising Intercultural Ministries & Support for Congregations of Color associates to develop ministries which support the mission of racial equity, intercultural, and women’s ministries in the PC(USA).
1. Work with the Director and other colleagues to provide high quality, high-level operational and financial management of the ministry area. Oversee the day-to-day operations of the ministry area, carrying out both administrative and programmatic functions, including short and long-term strategic operational planning.
2. Provide direct supervision for approximately 7 associates and field staff. Set vision for Intercultural Ministries & Support for Congregations of Color. Establish strategies, priorities, and set a clear vision, managing staff to results.
3. Manage and follow through on projects as assigned, consulting with and keeping the Director informed with regular status updates.
4. Serve on committees representing the ministry area. Serve as a member of the Racial Equity & Women’s Intercultural Ministries Leadership Team. Work in consultation with the ministry area’s finance, human resource, communications, and funds development staff, consulting with and keeping the Director appropriately informed.
5. Facilitate and continually improve the flow of communication among the RE&WIM Leadership Team, staff, other ministry areas of the PMA, national caucuses and councils serving communities of color, advocacy committees, leaders of color & women’s constituents.
6. Write and edit information and action reports, business items, and responses and comments to General Assembly referrals and edit and submit reports to Presbyterian Mission Agency Board meetings and General Assemblies.
7. Lead and manage staff to achieve established goals and objectives, including the collective goals of teams in the ministry area, such as antiracism, growth of new worshiping communities, leadership development, and women’s empowerment and gender justice.
8. Manage projects and other responsibilities, as requested
Essential Position Requirements:
- Masters Degree and congregational ministry experience preferred.
- Commitment to Jesus Christ and to the polity and mission of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
- Six to eight years’ of experience in an operational management role, preferably in a mission agency, large church, or faith-based organization
- Six or more years of experience managing direct and indirect reports
- Ability to interact and communicate with individuals from different racial and cultural backgrounds. Excellent communications and interpersonal skills across all levels and audiences.
- High social intelligence and cultural humility relating to a diverse constituency both within and external to the organization.
- Experience with creating and implementing innovative ministries and setting a vision for teams.
- Experience working with communities of color, new immigrant and/or intercultural ministries.
- Experience in congregational ministry very helpful.
- Strong leadership, administrative and financial management skills. Demonstrated knowledge of corporate/operational procedures (finance, management, HR, legal, IT, etc).
- Knowledge of and experience in the PC(USA) and knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn the ministries of the Intercultural Ministries & Support for Congregations of Color office team.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Self-starter, with an ability to lead teams to excellence.
- Strong organizational skills.Ability to handle multiple projects and follow them through to completion, in a timely manner.
- Responsive to emails, phone calls, and meeting requests.
- Experience working well with people and projects.
- Strong computer skills, including Word and Outlook.
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Pension Plan, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
Vacation Days, Sick Days, Paid Holidays
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates from Presbyterian communities in the global south and other historic Presbyterian Communities of Color, preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply.
Individuals living with disability encouraged to apply.
This job reports to the Director, RE&WIM
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1