With national offices in Louisville, Kentucky, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) focuses on the national and international mission work of the church. It serves and works with congregations, presbyteries, and synods as the central provider of resources that enable individuals, congregations, and governing bodies to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the world. The work at the Presbyterian Center is carried out by approximately 400 staff members in several national entities: Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Investment and Loan, Presbyterian Mission Agency, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation and Presbyterian Women.
Presbyterian Mission Agency’s (PMA) call to be a Matthew 25 church includes missional goals designed to accompany the denomination in supporting the development of vital congregations, eradicating poverty, and dismantling structural racism and white supremacy. This includes being in solidarity with the PMA’s domestic constituency and international partners in common missional work that enhance the capacity of the global church. The incumbent in this position will provide overall leadership on of the Young Adult Volunteer program, in coordination with other World Mission (WM) and PMA programs, as well as external partners. The Coordinator will represent the program and seek out strategic alliances that enable the YAV program to foster cross-cultural mission, leadership development through faith in action, intentional Christian community, and a space for vocational discernment, all through the lens of PMA’s missional goals.
1. Provide oversight and leadership to all aspects of the YAV program, including the programs Louisville staff, domestic and international site coordinators, and program participants.
2. Build and maintain a highly effective staff team to design and implement the program’s missional goals and related promotion and communication’s plan for the YAV program.
3. Develop and implement a strategy that aligns the work, mode of operations, and guidelines of domestic and international YAV sites.
4. Lead the program in ways that make it more inclusive to people who are most often excluded based on color, gender, class, disability, etc.
5. Build and maintain strong collaborative and/or programmatic relationships with key stakeholders for the YAV program – YAVs, YAV alumni, YAV site coordinators, YAV site board members, recruitment sources, other service program partners, ecumenical partners, and other PMA programs.
6. Develop a strategy to strengthen the program in the number of participants and in the quality/impact of the program in line with the program’s core tenants and PMA’s missional goals.
7. Research and engage new YAV sites, partnerships, and strategic alliances, as needed.
8. Lead coordination of programmatic events and conferences.
9. Oversee management of the program’s budget, finances, and other administrative responsibilities.
10. Perform other duties as assigned/required.
- Master’s degree in related field preferred
- Experience in a related field (young adult ministries, alum relations and/or funds development) desired.
- Experience with young adults required.
- Familiarity with the Young Adult Volunteer program preferred.
- Familiarity with work at a national level church-related agency preferred.
- Experience in cross-cultural and cross-economic settings preferred.
- Experience as a Mission Coworker is preferred.
- Strong relational and interpersonal skills, including the ability to speak to large groups, young adults and youth, and other church leaders
- Excellent public speaking and communication skills required.
- Ability to prioritize actions to meet goals
- Self-starter who works well on their own and in collaboration with a team
- Demonstrated knowledge of cultural proficiency
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of the YAV team and other cross-area teams
- Fluency in languages other than English is helpful
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Pension Plan, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
Vacation Days, Sick Days, Paid Holidays
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates from Presbyterian communities in the global south and other historic Presbyterian Communities of Color, preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply.
Individuals living with disability encouraged to apply.
This job reports to the Associate Director
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1