With national offices in Louisville, Kentucky, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) focuses on the national and international mission work of the church. It serves and works with congregations, presbyteries, and synods as the central provider of resources that enable individuals, congregations, and governing bodies to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the world. The work at the Presbyterian Center is carried out by approximately 400 staff members in several national entities: Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Investment and Loan, Presbyterian Mission Agency, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation and Presbyterian Women.
Under the supervision of the Director for Mission Communications, the Communications Associate will assist various Communications’ Strategists in executing and implementing communications strategies that raise public awareness of the mission agency. This role supports mission communications’ efforts to create and deliver accurate, timely and high-quality communications. The position must employ a variety of communications methods to inform, motivate and align the public as well as employees around the work of the Presbyterian Mission Agency– this includes written, digital and social mediums. This position will build strong working relationships within the ministry area to achieve communication objectives; manage multiple projects at the same time as well as serve as the dedicated communications resource for the ministry area. This is a Term Contract position, working part-time 30 hours per week.
1. In collaboration with Communications Strategist, executes all communication in a constructive and positive tone so that it is helpful for Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Presbyterian Mission Agency, and assigned program area(s).
2. Generate story ideas and write articles for posting via web, Presbyterian News Service and other available internal media sources as well as other external media outlets.
3. Manages the production of collateral materials to promote the ministry’s work
4. Work with Communications Strategist to develop content and postings on designated social media sites.
5. Work with program areas to develop content and mange production and timely distribution of programs’ e-newsletters.
6. Identify and interview story sources.
7. Develop and/or coordination of multi-media/video stories relating to ministry area.
8. Provide assistance to the Communications Strategists for Theology, Formation and Evangelism (TFE), Compassion, Peace and Justice (CPJ) and Racial Equity and Women's Intercultural Ministries (REWIM).
9. Responsible for coordinating website content, materials including print and video.
10. Serve as backup for Communications Strategist.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related subject strongly preferred
- Minimum of 5 years related experience in communications
- Ability to implement and execute communication plans and content
- Superior writing and editing skills with the ability to translate complex and/or sensitive information into easy to understand text
- Exceptional project management skills, particularly with the ability to manage multiple projects at one time
- Accurate follow-through and ability to meet tight deadlines are critical
- Experience with website content management
- Professional and mature interpersonal skills; ability to interact with various levels of the organization
- Familiarity in working with a religious or charitable organization
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Public relations agency experience is strongly preferred
- Must have strong customer/client management skills
- Demonstrated ability in handling confidential and sensitive matters with discretion
- Self-motivated with the ability to thrive under pressure and meet multiple deadlines
- Team player capable of working independently with minimal oversight
- Multi-media experience
- AP Style, Basic knowledge of Photography
- Candidates with fluency in languages other than English are encouraged to apply
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
Vacation Days, Sick Days, Paid Holidays
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates from Presbyterian communities in the global south and other historic Presbyterian Communities of Color, preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply.
Individuals living with disability encouraged to apply.
This job reports to the Director of Mission Communications
This is a Part-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1