With national offices in Louisville, Kentucky, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) focuses on the national and international mission work of the church. It serves and works with congregations, presbyteries, and synods as the central provider of resources that enable individuals, congregations, and governing bodies to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the world. The work at the Presbyterian Center is carried out by approximately 400 staff members in several national entities: Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Investment and Loan, Presbyterian Mission Agency, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation and Presbyterian Women.
The Associate for Vital Congregations will work in collaboration with the Coordinator and Mission Specialist to represent the Office of Vital Congregations by supporting the work of Mid-Council leaders and churches through the Vital Congregations Initiative and beyond. The Associate will work to carry out the vision and mission of the Office of Vital Congregations, representing the Office in travel and in special events. This position will work towards the continual evaluation and development of the Vital Congregations ministry work.
1. Program: Work with Coordinator for Vital Congregations to implement, assess, and tweak the work with pilot presbyteries taking part in the Vital Congregations Initiative and the presbyteries preparing for the work.
2. Resources: Assist the VC Pastor Writing Team and the PC(USA) Staff Team with the development and (re)development and the gathering of resources for the Initiative and beyond.
3. Communications: Work on the development of digital ways presbyteries can share and support news and information from the Office of Vital Congregations. Help develop resources and training tools in electronic versions for the 7-Marks and the Vision of the ministry.
4. Travel: In collaboration with the Coordinator, travel to Mid-Councils to share vision and implement the VC Initiative. Occasional travel to represent the Office of Vital Congregations for major conference events.
5. Special VC events: Work with Mission Specialist and the Coordinator for Mission Effectiveness and Budget on the logistical planning and implementing of all VC major events.
6. Strategy: Work in collaboration with the Coordinator to envision, plan, the ongoing partnerships, work, training, and overall support of the Office of Vital Congregations.
7. Collaboration: Support and Facilitate the PC(USA) Staff Team and the VC Pastor Team monthly meetings. Oversee the Liaison relationships between these teams and Mid-Councils in the Initiative.
Essential Position Requirements:
• Masters of Divinity preferred
• 8-10 years of experience with transforming congregations and relational evangelism
• Excellent writing and speaking skills
• Ability to work independently
• Excellent organizational and planning skills
• Excellent computer skills
• Ability to share broader vision
• Ability articulating problems facing the church
• Experience working well with others on major projects
• Ability to articulate problems facing the churches life.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Experience discerning information from a variety of sources
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Ability to think strategically
• Strong communication skills
• Relational ability with mid-councils
• Work in an office environment
• Ability to travel frequently
• Proficiency with the English language and one or more additional languages very helpful.
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Pension Plan, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
Vacation Days, Sick Days, Paid Holidays
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates from Presbyterian communities in the global south and other historic Presbyterian Communities of Color, preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply.
Individuals living with disability encouraged to apply.
This job reports to the Mission Coordinator
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1