With national offices in Louisville, Kentucky, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) focuses on the national and international mission work of the church. It serves and works with congregations, presbyteries, and synods as the central provider of resources that enable individuals, congregations, and governing bodies to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the world. The work at the Presbyterian Center is carried out by approximately 400 staff members in several national entities: Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Investment and Loan, Presbyterian Mission Agency, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation and Presbyterian Women.
Working under the general direction of the President/Executive Director, lead, oversee and manage the Theology, Formation and Evangelism (“TFE”) Ministry Area of the Presbyterian Mission Agency (PMA). Provide strategy, planning, operational management and support for the ongoing work of TFE’s programs and initiatives, in a way that furthers the achievement of Presbyterian Mission Agency’s organizational mission, vision, and strategic plans.
1. Set strategy and vision for TFE in collaboration with TFE staff and PMA leadership.
2. Lead and manage the TFE ministry area to achieve established goals and objectives including motivating, supervising and developing staff, problem solving and innovation, continuous program improvement, periodic evaluation and reporting on accomplishment of goals, and completion of work assigned by the General Assembly to TFE.
3. Participate fully and collaboratively as part of the PMA Leadership Cabinet, including planning, implementing and assessing progress in achieving the Presbyterian Mission Agency’s Mission Work Plan and Ministry Area goals.
4. Establish, cultivate and/or maintain relationships with key Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) constituents as pertinent to achieving ministry area and cross-ministry area goals.
5. Ensure faithful development, management and monitoring of TFE’s budget.
6. Work collaboratively with Administrative Services Group (includes finance & accounting, legal, human resources) to utilize resources in the most effective ways possible.
7. Adhere to the polity, theology and Biblical foundations of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and be a good steward of resources.
8. Engage the church in substantive and constructive discussions of significant and timely theological, liturgical and ethical concerns.
9. Other duties as assigned.
- Master of Divinity; Ph.D. in a theological field or its equivalent in study and experience.
- Minister of Word and Sacrament or Ordination as Elder preferred.
- Five to ten years of significant experience in the PC(USA).
- Significant leadership and management experience with a proven record of successfully running internal operations of a complex organizational division.
- Knowledge of and experience with the organization and polity of the PC(USA).
- Knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn the ministries of the Theology, Formation and Evangelism area.
- Knowledge of and experience working with PC(USA) agencies, mid councils, congregations and other related institutions.
- Experience with strategic planning and change processes.
- Faith commitment to Jesus Christ and strong Christian witness
- Possesses a strong commitment to our Reformed Theological heritage
- Ability to genuinely serve multiple perspectives within the church with a high degree of mutual trust
- Ability to interpret our theologically reformed faith in multiple ecumenical and interfaith settings.
- Ability to stay informed of developments, people and issues within the church Strong management, supervisory, planning and basic budgeting skills.
- Skilled in working with a wide diversity of people and in building sustained relationships.
- Ability to make tough decisions and implement them with grace
- Ability to interact and communicate with individuals from different racial and ethnic backgrounds.
- Proficiency with the English language and one or more additional languages very helpful.
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Pension Plan, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
Vacation Days, Sick Days, Paid Holidays
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates from Presbyterian communities in the global south and other historic Presbyterian Communities of Color, preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply.
Individuals living with disability encouraged to apply.
This job reports to the President/Executive Director
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1