With national offices in Louisville, Kentucky, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) focuses on the national and international mission work of the church. It serves and works with congregations, presbyteries, and synods as the central provider of resources that enable individuals, congregations, and governing bodies to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the world. The work at the Presbyterian Center is carried out by approximately 275 staff members who provide overall support for the mission of the church.
THIS IS AN INTERNATIONAL MISSION CO-WORKER POSITION BASED IN MALAWI.
The Lecturer and Practitioner of Family Medicine will assist with developing the Family Medicine course work for medical students and post gradate trainees by facilitating Nkhoma hospital as training sites for the Masters students and
facilitating experienced district hospital doctors to be trainers for the course. A secondary task will be to strengthen rural FM practice in Nkhoma and Mangochi to help it become exemplary health districts for teaching. It is expected that a fifty per cent of the time will be devoted to teaching and fifty per cent to service provision. The post holder is accountable and answerable to the Head of Department Family Medicine at Nkhoma and Medical Director Nkhoma hospital.
Description of location:
Nkhoma is a hill or mountain located about 55 km south of Lilongwe, Malawi. South African missionaries established a mission there in 1889 and named the mission after the hill. The mission is now the headquarters of Church of Central Africa Presbyterian Synod of Nkhoma and includes the 220 bed hospital, Synod offices, school, growing theological college, and other Synod departments.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities:
• In collaboration with Family Medicine faculty conduct annual review of the Family Medicine course
• -Assist with teaching and supervising of the Family Medicine trainee s
• Arrange clinical tutors, training sites, lecturers and supervisors
• Monitor progress and report quarterly to the Head of Department( HOD) of Family Medicine at Nkhoma
• Assist with teaching in the Malawian medical students on their family medicine rotation at Nkhoma
• Support and provide specialist advice to the clinical team at Nkhoma hospital
• Help establish a robust referral system for Nkhoma and Mangochi districts with strong links to existing community structures
• Help to develop and support a district wide clinical training program for Nkhoma and Mangochi districts
• Support the supervision of clinical staff at hospital, health center level and community level
• Help run the clinical audit system in the Nkhoma and Mangochi districts
Required education and languages:
• Medical degree (MBBS/ MD) or equivalent
• M Med (FM) or equivalent
• Fluency in English speaking and writing is needed
Required skills, experience, licenses, and certifications:
• Experience in participating in Family Medicine training at undergraduate and postgraduate level
• Working experience in Family Medicine at district level in developing countries
• Ability to work as an active team member
• Registered with Malawi medical counsel
• Practical experience in Family Medicine (operations} research is an advantage
• Experience in developing curricula and syllabi an advantage
Required ecclesiastical status (any of the following):
Practicing member of Christian denomination
Length of first term of service and preferred starting date:
Start date: Approximately April, 2019
End date: December, 2023 (renewable)
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefit package including:
Company Paid Benefits
Death and Disability
Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Flexible Spending accounts
403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
Group Term Life Insurance
Critical Illness Insurance
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Individuals living with disability encouraged to apply.
Screening Requirements: Criminal Background Check, Physical Exam, Psychological Assessment
This job reports to the Area Coordinator for Africa
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1