With national offices in Louisville, Kentucky, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) focuses on the national and international mission work of the church. It serves and works with congregations, presbyteries, and synods as the central provider of resources that enable individuals, congregations, and governing bodies to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the world. The work at the Presbyterian Center is carried out by approximately 325 staff members who provide overall support for the mission of the church.
1. Develops, drafts, and implements Area strategy for each active country in which World Mission has global partners in the geographic region, through broad, collaborative and ongoing processes involving global partners, mission personnel and associates for ecumenical partnerships, and PC(USA) constituents. The strategy is guided by the World Mission Strategic Plan with emphasis on how the Area strategy helps to accomplish World Mission vision and collective goals, Presbyterian Mission Agency directional goals, and General Assembly directives, and how the Area strategy adheres to World Mission core values.
2. Supervises strategically placed Regional Liaisons (RL), so they are empowered to lead PC(U.S.A.) mission involvement, oversee the work of personnel in their respective regions, and build ecumenical partnerships in their regions. Manages the team so that RLs are integrally engaged in identifying and filling strategic opportunities and contributing to World Mission processes within their regional assignment and as part of the broader Area Office and World Mission teams. Indirectly manages all personnel in the Area, through RLs.
3. Creates common spaces for information sharing and decision-making where concerns, initiatives, needs and capacities of global partners, mission participants and World Mission are communicated with clarity to each other (i.e. Presbytery and congregational partnerships, mission networks, partnership networks, mission support groups, global partners, mission committees or other structures) as they grow together as communities of mission practice. Includes being a central resource at our biannual General Assembly, for commissioners and delegates.
4 Stays well-informed of events and developments in the area and interprets the life and witness of global partners to Presbyterian Mission Agency entities and PC(U.S.A.) constituencies in order to strengthen solidarity among partners. Provides strong support to Communications team.
5. Supports and engages Mission Networks, Partnership Networks, Presbyteries and other groups of Presbyterians in collaborative ways so that their efforts are increasingly consistent with Presbyterian mission values and benchmarks.
6. Identifies and helps secure mission resources for mission personnel and programs to achieve World Mission strategic goals. Provides strong support to Mission Engagement and Support team. Exercises good stewardship of PCUSA resources while complying with all PMA accounting procedures and PMA policy requirements, as well as assuring adherence to intended uses of funds to support ministry through ECOs, endowments or other.
7. Promotes awareness of, support for , and engagement in PC(U.S.A.) benchmarks for faithful and effective mission practice (core values, partnership commitments, policies) among a growing number of mission participants and global partners through joint activities, prayer, finance, advocacy, time/labor, mission service, projects, etc. in the area.
8. Other duties, as assigned.
Essential Position Requirements:
- Bachelors degree, with relevant work experience.
- At least 4 years of experience in cross-cultural or international ministry, preferably mission service with the PC(U.S.A.)
- Faith commitment to Jesus Christ and strong Christian witness
- Language skills appropriate to the region, with Arabic strongly preferred
- Networking capabilities; cultivation of relationships
- Supervisory skills for managing and collaborating with a team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission and ministry of the PC(U.S.A.) as expressed through the General Assembly and World Mission
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; good listening skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to relate well with a diversity of people, including religious diversity
- Demonstrated skills in working in a team relationship that includes a mission specialist and regional staff by development, nurture, evaluation/assessment, reflection, analysis, and discernment
- Sense of call to this position
- Able to maintain emotional balance under stress and able to respond appropriately to emotions and emotionally-charged situations
- Has a history of accountability and transparency
- Able to be a respectful presence
- Knowledge of Reformed tradition
- Training, meeting facilitation and/or public speaking
- Church leadership
- Mission leadership
- Project and time management; record-keeping
- Social media savvy
- Able to work without being directed
- Team player
- Can work under pressure
- Travel required (domestic and international)
- Requires the ability to work evening/weekend hours on occasion to support events/programs/travel
- Requires the ability to see, hear, speak, type, write, and move from one location to another while performing tasks
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package including:
Company Paid Benefits
Death and Disability
Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Flexible Spending accounts
403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
Group Term Life Insurance
Critical Illness Insurance
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates from Presbyterian communities in the global south and other historic Presbyterian Communities of Color, preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply.
Individuals living with disability encouraged to apply.
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1