With national offices in Louisville, Kentucky, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) focuses on the national and international mission work of the church. It serves and works with congregations, presbyteries, synods and global church partners to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the world.
THIS POSITION IS AN INTERNATIONAL MISSION CO-WORKER BASED FULL TIME IN SRI LANKA.
The Regional Liaison for South Asia (RL) will serve as facilitator of denominational (PCUSA) support for partner programs, relationships, and activities, and as an implementer of regional strategies in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
The RL will supervise and support PCUSA mission personnel in communications, information sharing, mentoring/guiding, encouraging, and missiological reflection.
The RL will serve as a resource for connection and information between partners and the PCUSA entities in conjunction with World Mission and develop strategies for South Asia in collaboration with the Area Coordinator for Asia-Pacific and global partners.
The RL must live within the region. Currently, the home base for the RL for South Asia is Colombo, Sri Lanka in partnership with the National Christian Church of Sri Lanka. The RL for South Asia will live in the manse of St. Andrew’s Scots Kirk in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
This position also serves as a pastor at St. Andrew’s Scots Kirk in Colombo, Sri Lanka. If the Regional Liaison is a couple, then it can be worked out so that one person fills the role of parish pastor while the other takes care of the administrative requirements of the RL role. If the Regional Liaison is a single person, then we can negotiate details that allow for the coverage of both positions and the responsibilities that go along with each.
Countries of Service Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, and Nepal – each country context representing varying degrees of engagement. In each of these countries, Christians are a minority. The PCUSA relates to a variety of global partners in each of these countries with most having a historical legacy generating from missional origins.
Essential tasks and responsibilities:
1. Development/Implementation/Updating and Monitoring of Regional Strategy in collaboration with the Area Coordinator, other relevant Presbyterian World Mission and PCUSA staff, global partners, and mission participants will be accomplished. This includes identification and development of mission personnel position opportunities.
2. Supervise and support mission personnel through communications, information sharing, mentoring and encouragement, enabling them to access adequate pastoral care, achieving agreed-upon regional and strategy objectives. Mission personnel are supervised and evaluated through a collaborative effort of the Regional Liaison and the global partner, in consultation with the Area Coordinator.
3. Working with all appropriate offices in the ministry area as well as within the denomination, maintain on the ground responsibilities for matters related to COEMAR property management, including but not limited to maintaining all appropriate documentation, managing all interpersonal relationships with global partners and others, monitoring all related legal proceedings related to properties. This requires being in continual, close communication and coordination with the Area Coordinator for Asia-Pacific. (COEMAR = Committee on Ecumenical Management and Relations which is a corporation of the PCUSA through which international real estate is owned and managed).
4. This position contains components of pastoral responsibilities related to the St. Andrew’s Scots Kirk, Colombo, Sri Lanka. If the RL is a single person, then the individual will serve in pastoral role approximately 2 days each week plus the conduct of worship services on Sundays at the St. Andrew’s Scots Kirk, Colombo, Sri Lanka. If the RL is a couple, then the time dedicated to pastoral responsibilities would be approximately 4 days each week plus the conduct of worship services on Sundays. Configurations are negotiable and subject to agreement by all parties.
5. Mission Networks are supported and engaged in collaborative ways so that their efforts are increasingly consistent with Presbyterian mission benchmarks, strategies, and policy. There are currently no mission networks pertinent to South Asia; however, it may be that one or more develops over time.
6. Support Area Coordinators in resourcing PCUSA mission participants and partners in facilitating their efforts.
7. Support Area Coordinators in resourcing PCUSA constituency by timely and comprehensive communications, responsiveness, and information to promote and support World Mission (stories for publication, Mission Engagement Services)
8. Represent effectively PCUSA/World Mission to global partners, ecumenical entities, and mission personnel, as directed by Area Coordinator, at meetings and consultations. Participate in the annual meetings, or as they are scheduled, of the Regional Liaisons.
9. Monitor financial disbursements to partners, including ECOs and other gifts working in a team effort with the Program Assistant/Mission Specialist and the Area Coordinator for Asia-Pacific. Assist in the interpretation of and reporting on the disbursements given to partners.
10. Give analysis and recommendations on regional issues and partner project opportunities, provide link to relevant PCUSA programs, provide material for World Mission/PCUSA resources.
11. Travel in region and to the US, as appropriate.
12. Facilitate and/or assist in the facilitation of travel study seminars in the region, assist mission groups traveling to the region, facilitate and monitor activity related to travel and funds.
13. Together with the Mission Engagement Associate team and World Mission/denominational staff, help raise funding for sending & support and ministry/travel costs.
14. Assist in developing security plans and implementation (in case of need) for the region.
15. Other duties as assigned.
Description of Location:
Sri Lanka is a republic and a unitary state governed by a Semi-presidential system. The legislative capital, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte, is a suburb of the commercial capital and largest city, Colombo. An important producer of tea, coffee, gemstones, coconuts, rubber, and the native cinnamon, the island contains tropical forests and diverse landscapes with much biodiversity.
Required education and languages:
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree with relevant experience; Graduate degree preferred
- Demonstrated ability to learn key phrases and respectful greetings for each of the languages specific to the countries in the region where ministry is conducted
- Education and experience in a specialty area such as community development, health, gender justice, human rights, etc. as appropriate for the region of South Asia.
Required skills, experience, licenses, and certifications:
• Knowledge of and commitment to the mission and ministry of the PCUSA as expressed through the General Assembly and World Mission
• 4-5 years of experience in cross-cultural ministry
Required ecclesiastical status:
- Member of PCUSA Congregation or Reformed Congregation or Congregation of Formula of Agreement
- PCUSA Minister of Word and Sacrament/Teaching Elder or other Reformed or Formula of Agreement Clergy - PCUSA Ruling Elder or equivalent in other Reformed tradition or Formula of Agreement communion.
Length of first term of service and preferred starting date:
Length of first term: 4 years
Starting Date: 2018
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefit package including:
Company Paid Benefits
Death and Disability
Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Flexible Spending accounts
403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
Group Term Life Insurance
Critical Illness Insurance
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Screening Requirements: Criminal Background Check, Physical Exam, Psychological
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1