Catholic Charities of Louisville is an apostolate of the Archdiocese of Louisville and member of Catholic Charities USA. We provide service for people in need, advocate for justice in social structures, and call the entire Church and other people of good will to do the same.
Catholic Charities of Louisville is the social-service arm of the Archdiocese of Louisville. We provide help and create hope for the poor and vulnerable through a wide range of programs, assisting clients of all races, backgrounds and beliefs. Our service area includes 24 counties throughout Central Kentucky.
Catholic Charities of Louisville was established in 1939 and incorporated as a 501(c)(3) human service organization in 1993. It is one of over 160 Catholic Charities USA social service agencies in the United States.
Catholic Charities of Louisville has established three core values to represent us as an organization and are a gauge for how we work with each other as well as our clients and partners. They are Welcome, Strengthen and Empower.
Job Skills / Requirements
FULL TIME EXEMPT POSITION: $39K/annual
COVER LETTERS AND RESUME ARE REQUIRED AS ONE DOCUMENT TO BE CONSIDERED
The Youth & Family Reunification Caseworker will provide case management and supportive services in fluent Spanish to unaccompanied immigrant children released from federal custody and their caregivers as part of Office of Refugee Resettlement services. This is a component in the assessment for family reunification to ensure the minor has been or will be released into a safe home environment.
In keeping with the Mission and Vision of Catholic Charities of Louisville, the Youth & Family Reunification Caseworker demonstrates the Values of the agency: Welcome, Empower and Strengthen.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Conduct home visits and phone contacts with the dual purpose of assessing safety and appropriateness of child’s placement with their caregiver (sponsor) and connecting child to services in the community to address risk factors.
- Ongoing case management with a focus on screening and making appropriate referrals to address child’s needs in the following domains: Placement issues, safety issues, education, health, mental health, legal/immigration proceedings, substance abuse, independent living, criminal/juvenile justice, child enrichment activities.
- Provide crisis intervention services directly, as needed, or connect family to services to ensure minor’s safety and well-being in a crisis situation.
- Submit detailed and thorough documentation in compliance with LIRS policies and procedures.
- Utilize social work best practices for thorough assessments of child’s progress and services provided.
- Maintain regular and timely communication with supervisor around any issues concerning the child’s safety, stability, or well-being in the placement.
- Identify local medical/mental health/education/legal resources to assist with social support for sponsor and minor
- Maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive information in compliance with HIPAA standards
- Occasional driving in personal and/or agency vehicle to satellite offices, job fairs, off-site meetings in surrounding counties
- Participate in monitoring visits conducted by Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS)
- Perform other duties as assigned to meet program needs
- All other duties assigned by the Assistant Director.
This work is performed in an office setting with moderate noise due to computers, printers, and people moving about and out in the community. The work is also performed in clients’ homes.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time
- Specific vision abilities include close and distant vision
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to travel frequently within the community
- Ability to accurately examine and analyze information
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT:
telephone, computer, printer, copy machine, fax machine, calculator, scanner, and shredder
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree required. Social work or similar degree preferred.
1-2 years of relevant work experience, preferably with immigrant populations and/or child welfare programs
Reasonable accommodations may be made to those who are able to perform the essential duties of the job
SPECIALIZED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Fluency in English and Spanish required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to travel regionally up to 70% of the time.
- Must be able to pass an FBI background check as well as a CA/N check for every state in which they have resided in the last five years.
- Must possess reliable personal vehicle and be willing to use personal vehicle transporting clients to various locations within the service area if an agency vehicle is not available.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
- Excellent clinical and crisis intervention skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to interact successfully with colleagues, clients, volunteers, and service providers.
- Be able to set boundaries with clients and be professional and compassionate.
- Must be people oriented and relate to varied ethnic populations.
- If English is the second language, the person must have acceptable proficiency in listening and reading comprehension as well as oral and written communication in English.
- Flexible schedule to meet work, program and project deadlines including nights and weekends.
- Ability to work independently, establish priorities and exercise sound judgment to complex, sensitive and confidential situations
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
Education Requirements (Any)
BA degree required and 1-2 yrs of relevant experience preferably with immigrants and/or child welfare programs
Additional Information / Benefits
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan
This job reports to the MRS Assistant Director
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1