At Transylvania, we aim to foster a campus community characterized by compassion, respect, ethical concern and social responsibility. Students can learn to evaluate their own backgrounds in tandem with new ideas and ways of relating to others. This is at the heart of a true liberal arts education. In our Transylvania community, we value the richness that comes from race, religion, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status.
The Director of Campus and Community Engagement promotes dynamic campus life programming and community engagement to create a vibrant and engaging student experience that provides a variety of leadership opportunities and student activities.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion, the director leads, manages, and supports the daily activities of the office of campus and community engagement that meets the educational, social, cultural, leadership, service learning and recreational needs of students. In addition to managing all aspects of campus activities and leadership, the director also supervises Greek life. This position is a full-time, 12-month position, requires occasional night and weekend work and serves in an on-call rotation with other student life staff.
Responsibilities and duties include the following:
• Represent campus and community engagement and the needs of students to
others within the University and to external constituents. As a visible presence
on campus, represent the office of campus and community engagement as
well as the division of student life on University committees.
• Supervise and manage department staff, including the assistant director of
campus and community engagement, three AmeriCorps Vistas, and several
• Provide a work-environment supportive of professional development and
successful work-life integration. Ensure the successful execution of programs.
• Responsible for strategic planning, administration, supervision, and evaluation
of campus and community engagement activities including oversight of
student organizations to include clubs and intramurals.
• Assist with leading a cross-campus team to develop, execute and measure a
college-wide civic learning and community engagement/outreach initiative.
• Supervise Greek Life on campus and collaborate with National Organizations
and Chapter Advisors.
• Manage appropriate financial functions of the office including preparing the
annual departmental budget, monitoring budgets for student programming
and approving/negotiating contracts for speakers and vendors.
• Utilize student development theories in strategic planning of all leadership
and engagement initiatives including the development of Pioneer Leadership
Program curriculum and programming, advising, cultivating, and supervising
student leaders, and other important aspects of leadership and engagement
• Collaborate with faculty, student life staff, and other university departments in
creating experiences to increase student engagement.
• Actively engage with diverse student populations in order to ensure that
department programs are inclusive and reflect the diversity of the campus
• Bachelor’s degree in higher education, education or related field (master’s
degree is strongly preferred).
• Minimum of 5 to 7 years of relevant, progressive student life professional
• Demonstrated success in developing and directing student activities and
leadership programs, including managing budgets and oversight of
• Experience advising and working with student groups.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Please apply by January 8th; however, resumes will be accepted until interviews begin. Qualified candidates may submit their cover letter and resume by following the staff job openings link at www.transy.edu/jobs. Please write your cover letter to the attention of Jeff Mudrak, Director of Human Resources.
Transylvania University is an equal opportunity employer.
This job reports to the Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion
This is a Full-Time position
Number of Openings for this position: 1