Founded in 1819, Centre College is a small, selective educational community located in Danville, Kentucky, and serves approximately 1,400 students by focusing on high quality undergraduate education as its primary mission. The historic, picturesque 150-acre campus is 30 miles from Lexington, in the famed Bluegrass Region of Central Kentucky. Centre accomplishes its goals in an atmosphere of caring and respectful relationships among faculty, student, and staff. The College has an endowment in excess of $300 million and an operating budget of more than $65 million.
Centre College, a four-year private institution that both U.S. News & World Report and Forbes continuously rank among the nation’s top 50 liberal arts colleges, is accepting applications for the position of Admission Counselor.
The Admission Counselor is responsible for counseling and assisting prospective students and their families in the admission process, managing several geographic territories to meet recruitment goals, carrying out daily operations of the office, and the development of projects as assigned. This individual reports to the Associate Dean & Director of Admission.
Essential Job Functions:
• Manage student recruitment in assigned territory. Market research, school relations and correspondence with students are required. Coordinate activities necessary to the region including off-campus interviews and events, email and phone campaigns, and other recruitment activities to meet application and enrollment goals.
• Coordinate projects and/or special events as assigned, developing an action plan and implementing all activities required by project, including electronic and print mailings, volunteer coordination, and delegation of tasks to other staff members.
• Conduct six to eight weeks of recruitment travel in the fall and two to three weeks in the spring. This individual is responsible for all planning and preparation for the travel.
• Meet with prospective students and their families for individual and group information sessions on a daily basis. Counsel students and families on the admission and financial aid process. Articulate the features and benefits of a rigorous liberal arts education.
• Regularly offer presentations offered to guests before guided campus tours.
• Attend open houses and other campus events for admission. Host occasional Saturday sessions for campus visitors.
• Read and evaluate applications for admission and scholarships, beginning in mid-November and continuing through March.
• Counsel students and families on basic issues of cost and financial aid.
• Attend weekly meetings with the counseling staff and reports on pertinent information related to responsibilities.
• Build and maintain good relationships with high school counselors and other constituencies with which the admissions office deals.
• Appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty and staff of many social, economic, cultural, ideological, racial and ethnic backgrounds.
Marginal Job Functions:
• Participate actively in professional organizations.
• Enthusiastically participate in all staff activities.
• Contribute to the overall success of the department by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors degree and one to two years related experience required.
Knowledge and Skills:
Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills are required, as well as organizational skills. Candidates should understand the nature and purpose of a residential liberal arts education. Basic computer skills needed to utilize admission specific software, spreadsheets and calendars. Ability to work independently and as a member of a team is important. Empathy and humor are crucial. Valid drivers license is required.
Limited pushing and lifting. Lifting would not exceed 20 lbs.
Must be able to travel to assigned geographic territory. Mobility on campus necessary.
Bachelor's Degree required.
Centre College is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. Centre strives to create an environment where differences are celebrated rather than discouraged, where the individuals have the opportunity to exchange ideas and share in the richness of mutual experiences. Please view the Statement of Community. For information concerning the college, visit our web site at www.centre.edu
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan, Pension/Retirement, Educational Assistance
Screening Requirements: Motor Vehicle, Criminal Background Check, Social Security & Sex Offender traces
This job reports to the Associate Dean & Director of Admission
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift, Weekends and evenings as necessary..
Number of Openings for this position: 1