Founded in 1819, Centre College is a small, selective educational community located in Danville, Kentucky, and serves approximately 1,400 students by focusing on high quality undergraduate education as its primary mission. The historic, picturesque 150-acre campus is 30 miles from Lexington, in the famed Bluegrass Region of Central Kentucky. Centre accomplishes its goals in an atmosphere of caring and respectful relationships among faculty, student, and staff. The College has an endowment in excess of $300 million and an operating budget of more than $65 million.
Centre College, a four-year private institution that both U.S. News & World Report and Forbes continuously rank among the nation’s top 50 liberal arts colleges, is accepting applications for the position of Digital Scholarship Librarian.
Essential Job Functions:
• Manage, in collaboration with the Library Systems Specialist and the Special Collections Librarian, digital resource platforms (currently Omeka, in the future CONTENTdm and Digital Commons);
• Develop and maintain institutional repository projects, such as the RICE repository, faculty publications repository, and student publications repository;
• Plan, manage, and coordinate digital projects, working closely with library staff, faculty, and members of the college community;
• Oversee a future digitization center, including the training and supervision of student assistants;
• Partner with other units within and beyond the library on digital initiatives, particularly on metadata protocols and standards such as Dublin Core, EAD, MODS, and/or METS and linked open data;
• Develop and implement a long-term digital preservation program for digital scholarship
• Promote and enhance access to local digital collections;
• Coordinate digital library collaborations with key external partners (e.g. The Boyle County Public Library, local historical associations, other colleges and universities);
• Serve as liaison to one or more academic programs and participate in the library instruction programs;
• Manage large datasets and / or be a resource for students and faculty in this work;
• Work with library staff to focus on user needs;
• Manage Intellectual property Issues for online objects;
• In collaboration with campus Information Technology Systems, manage sustainability issues for online objects;
• Appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty and staff of many social, economic, cultural, ideological, racial and ethnic backgrounds.
Marginal Job Functions:
• Contribute to the overall success of the department by performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
MLS degree from an ALA-accredited program, or equivalent
Strong project management, analytical, and organizational skills
Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and creativity
Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills
Familiarity with best practices in digital preservation
Facility for learning, using, and applying appropriate technologies in a library context
Knowledge of and interest in effective practices in data transfer, infrastructure, and interoperability
Progressively responsible experience working in an academic library
Demonstrated understanding of relevant scholarly communication issues (e.g., intellectual property rights and Fair Use)
Experience with XML, web programming, graphic design, and scripting, or a demonstrated ability to learn these skills
Familiarity with the curation of various formats of digital scholarship (e.g., data sets, media, images)
Limited pushing, pulling, lifting. Lifting would not exceed 20 lbs.
Mobility on campus necessary.
MLS degree from an ALA-accredited program or equivalent.
Centre College is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. Centre strives to create an environment where differences are celebrated rather than discouraged, where the individuals have the opportunity to exchange ideas and share in the richness of mutual experiences. Please view the Statement of Community. For information concerning the college, visit our web site at www.centre.edu
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan, Pension/Retirement, Educational Assistance
Screening Requirements: Motor Vehicle, Criminal Background Check, Social Security & Sex Offender traces
This job reports to the Director of Library Services
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift, Some weekends and evenings as necessary..
Number of Openings for this position: 1