Founded in 1819, Centre College is a small, selective educational community located in Danville, Kentucky, and serves approximately 1,400 students by focusing on high quality undergraduate education as its primary mission. The historic, picturesque 150-acre campus is 30 miles from Lexington, in the famed Bluegrass Region of Central Kentucky. Centre accomplishes its goals in an atmosphere of caring and respectful relationships among faculty, student, and staff. The College has an endowment in excess of $300 million and an operating budget of more than $65 million.
Centre College, a four-year private institution that both U.S. News & World Report and Forbes continuously rank among the nation’s top 50 liberal arts colleges, is accepting applications for the position of Zone Mechanic.
Individual will assist in the general operations and maintenance of the assigned buildings. Individual will report to the Director of Facilities Management through the Superintendent of Maintenance.
Essential Job Functions:
• Perform electrical maintenance such as changing ballasts, resetting breakers, electrical troubleshooting and replacement of fixtures, switches, outlets and similar electrical components;
• Repair windows, window screens, mini blinds, door locks ceiling tiles, drywall;
• Troubleshoot heating, air conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing and electrical systems to correct problems or seek assistance and work with a specialist technician for larger problems;
• Develop and execute preventive maintenance program for the optimum operation of all building systems;
• Basic carpentry skills for repairing doors, furniture, cabinets, beds:
• Responsible for individual hand tools and college supplied tools and machinery;
• Repair or replace defective washers, stems flush valves, faucets, clear clogged drains and sewer lines;
• Work with all trade areas to keep all facilities in the best operating condition possible;
• Individual is required to be on-call on a rotating basis, as needed;
• Appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty and staff of many social, economic, cultural, ideological, racial and ethnic backgrounds.
Marginal Job Functions:
• Contribute to the overall success of the department by performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or GED equivalent required. Valid driver’s license required.
Knowledge and Skills:
Ability to communicate verbally and in writing. Ability to follow instructions, work independently and responsibility with minimum supervision. Knowledge in use of hand and power tools. General mechanical aptitude and the ability to solve mechanical problems.
Ability to lift heavy weights, sometimes overhead. Ability to work from ladders and scaffolding, as well as, in confined areas for extended periods of time. Mobility on campus necessary.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent
Centre College is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. Centre strives to create an environment where differences are celebrated rather than discouraged, where the individuals have the opportunity to exchange ideas and share in the richness of mutual experiences. Please view the Statement of Community. For information concerning the college, visit our web site at www.centre.edu
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan, Pension/Retirement, Educational Assistance
Screening Requirements: Motor Vehicle, Criminal Background Check, Social Security & Sex Offender traces
This job reports to the Director of Facilties Management
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift, Some evenings and weekends when needed..
Number of Openings for this position: 1