Centre College, founded in 1819, offers its students a world of opportunities, highlighted by the nation’s #3 ranked study abroad program, ranked #46 by US News of national liberal arts colleges, and recently tabbed as one of the top 100 colleges in the nation for sports lovers, coming in at #47 (across all NCAA Divisions) for student-athlete experience according to Money magazine and Sports Illustrated. Located on 152-acres in Danville, Ky., the heart of the Bluegrass Region of Central Kentucky, Centre is a proud member of the NCAA Division III, a founding member of the Southern Athletic Association.
Under supervision of the Head Softball Coach, provide assistance in the leadership of all coaching, recruiting, and administrative duties for a Division III softball program. Individual reports to the Head Softball Coach as well as to the Deputy AD (or designee) with a secondary duty to be assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
• Assist in organizing, preparing and conducting practices, training, and competition;
• Recruit student-athletes in accordance with all Centre College, Southern Athletic Association, and NCAA rules and regulations;
• Assist in directing all aspects of the team;
• Assist with the holistic development of softball student-athletes;
• Represent the program and the College to students, parents, alumni, and the general public;
• Assist in managing the daily operations and administration facets of the softball program – including but not limited too – field maintenance and set-up;
• Actively participate in department-wide fundraising initiatives;
• Assist in all duties as assigned by the Head Coach or the Director of Athletics;
• Secondary duty to be assigned at a later date;
• Contribute to the overall success of the department by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of many social, economic, cultural, ideological, racial, and ethnic backgrounds;
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree with previous collegiate experience as a player or a coach; previous collegiate coaching experience preferred. Pitching background preferred, but not required.
Knowledge and Skills
Demonstrated knowledge of the sport of softball and its playing rules; ability to foster a team environment; demonstrated coaching skills in sport of softball; knowledge of travel, lodging, planning, and scheduling; a commitment to the NCAA Division III philosophy of athletics, sufficient knowledge of NCAA and SAA rules and regulations, and a demonstrated ability to successfully recruit, retain, and mentor student-athletes; the ability, and desire, to work successfully within a team-oriented athletic department.
Moderate physical activity. Requires handling up to 25 pounds. Standing and or walking for more than four hours per day.
Bachelors degree with previous collegiate playing experience required
CPR, AED, and First-Aid certifications will be required prior to September 1, 2019.
Centre College is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. Centre strives to create an environment where differences are celebrated rather than discouraged, where the individuals have the opportunity to exchange ideas and share in the richness of mutual experiences. Please view the Statement of Community. For information concerning the college, visit our web site at www.centre.edu
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan, Pension/Retirement, Educational Assistance
Screening Requirements: Motor Vehicle, Criminal Background Check, Social Security & Sex Offender traces
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift, Some evenings and weekends required..
Travel is required frequently
Number of Openings for this position: 1