Founded in 1819, Centre College is a small, selective educational community located in Danville, Kentucky, and serves approximately 1,400 students by focusing on high quality undergraduate education as its primary mission. The historic, picturesque 150-acre campus is 30 miles from Lexington, in the famed Bluegrass Region of Central Kentucky. Centre accomplishes its goals in an atmosphere of caring and respectful relationships among faculty, student, and staff. The College has an endowment in excess of $300 million and an operating budget of more than $65 million.
Centre College is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. Centre strives to create an environment where differences are celebrated rather than discouraged, where the individuals have the opportunity to exchange ideas and share in the richness of mutual experiences. Please view the State of Community. For information concerning the college, visit our web site at www.centre.edu
Assists in the general operations and maintenance of the mechanical, HVAC, performs plumbing work and complete maintenance functions for the college according to standards set forth. Will work in all areas of Facilities Management as the need arises.
Essential Job Functions:
• Under the general supervision of the Maintenance Superintendent reads and records operating characteristics of various heating, air conditioning, gas distribution systems;
• Repairs and maintains plumbing by replacing defective washers, replacing or mending broken pipes, opening clogged drains and associated systems to accomplish a smooth operating environment for all faculty, staff and students;
• Service and maintain HVAC systems including use and management of CFC compounds;Assembles pipe sections, tubing and fittings, using screws, bolts, solder, plastic solvent, and caulking;Performs maintenance to all aspects of building operating systems;
• Studies building plans and inspects structure to determine required materials and equipment and sequence of pipe installations;
• Troubleshoots and makes repairs to operating equipment, all controls and control equipment associated with building operating systems;
• Cuts openings in structures to accommodate pipe and pipe fittings, using hand and power tools. Locates and marks position of pipe installations and passage holes in structures;
• Cuts, threads, and bends pipe to required angle, using pipe cutters, pipe threading
machine, and pipe bending machine;
• Assists in installation, connection/disconnecting of various electrical devices, all voltages and performs troubleshooting of all type of electrical lines and equipment;
• Serves as an on-call person for designated periods to respond to emergencies after normal working hours, in accordance with the Facilities Management On-Call and Overtime Policies.
Marginal Job Functions:
• Contribute to the overall success of the department by performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or GED equivalent required. Valid driver’s license required. Ten years of field experience in building maintenance related to heating, air conditioning and refrigeration systems. Valid license or certification of CFC, electrical or similar trade.
Individual must possess or obtain a CFC license within a specified period.
Knowledge and Skills:
General mechanical aptitude and the ability to solve complex mechanical problems on an emergency basis.
Journeyman’s license desired.
Experience in copper brazing.
Understanding of mechanical controls.
General knowledge of pipe fitting
High School Diploma or GED equivalent
Must possess or obtain a CFC license within a specified period.
This job reports to the Maintenance Superintendent
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift, Some evening and weekend work required..
Number of Openings for this position: 1