Centre College, founded in 1819, offers its students a world of opportunities, highlighted by the nation’s #2 ranked study abroad program, ranked #44 by US News of national liberal arts colleges, and recently tabbed as one of the top 100 colleges in the nation for sports lovers, coming in at #47 (across all NCAA Divisions) for student-athlete experience according to Money magazine and Sports Illustrated. Located on 152-acres in Danville, Ky., the heart of the Bluegrass Region of Central Kentucky, Centre is a proud member of the NCAA Division III, a founding member of the Southern Athletic Association, and recent back-to-back winner of the SAA’s Presidents’ Cup (2013 and 2014).
Centre women’s lacrosse has seen significant enhancements over two years including the creation of a full-time assistant coach (shared with field hockey) as well as the construction of the Gordon S. Dabney Building at the field, which houses the team locker room, athletic training space, concessions, and public restrooms to complete the practice and game facility.
The Head Women’s Lacrosse Coach provides leadership in all coaching, recruiting, and administrative duties for a competitive Division III women’s lacrosse program, reporting to the Director of Athletics. Secondary duty will be determined.
Essential Job Functions:
• Organizes, prepares, and conducts practices, training, and competitions;
• Successfully recruit student-athletes in accordance with all Centre College, Southern Athletic Association, and NCAA rules and regulations;
• Leads, monitors, and coordinates training and practice sessions, ensuring all appropriate safety guidelines are followed;
• Responsibility for program budget to include travel, equipment, officials, and recruiting expenses;
• Supervision and mentoring of assistant coach(es);
• Directing all aspects of the program;
• Lead the holistic development of women’s lacrosse student-athletes;
• Represent the program and the College to students, parents, community, alumni, and the general public;
• Manage the daily operations and administration facets of the women’s lacrosse program;
• Work in conjunction with members of the department’s administration and support staff in regards to staffing needs, strategic budgeting, facility needs and enhancements, fundraising, alumni development, and program promotion;
• Make appropriate recommendations to Athletic Administration in regards to maintenance concerns and enhancement needs for facilities;
• Actively participate in department-wide fundraising initiatives;
• Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics;
• Secondary duty to be assigned;
• Contribute to the overall success of the department by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree with previous collegiate coaching experience required. CPR, AED, and First-Aid certifications will be required prior to September 1, 2017.
Knowledge and Skills:
Demonstrated knowledge and coaching skills of the sport of women’s lacrosse and its playing rules; a commitment to the Division III philosophy; knowledge of NCAA and SAA rules; and a demonstrated ability to recruit, retain, and mentor student-athletes are essential. Additional qualifications include communication skills that allow for the ability to teach, motivate, and counsel student-athletes effectively as well as being self-motivated, positive, energetic, eager to teach, and a willingness to travel. Ability to foster a team environment as well as the ability and desire to work successfully within a team-oriented athletic department is essential.
Moderate physical activity. Requires handling up to 25 pounds.
Standing and or walking for more than four hours per day.
Bachelor's degree with previous collegiate coaching experience required.
CPR, AED, and First-Aid certifications will be required prior to September 2, 2017.
This job reports to the Director of Athletics & Recreation
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift, Some evenings and weekends required..
Relocation is negotiable
Number of Openings for this position: 1