The Lexington-Fayette County Health Department (LFCHD) is an independent public health agency charged with helping Lexington be well since 1904 and proudly nationally accredited since 2014.
Vision: We will move Lexington toward being one of the healthiest communities in the nation.
Mission: Helping Lexington be well.
Values: We commit to being...
Caring: We will treat our clients, community and coworkers with compassion and kindness.
Accountable: We will respect all individuals without bias and value their uniqueness.
Respectful: We will respect all individuals without bias and value their uniqueness.
Equitable: We will provide services and care equitably to all of our clients throughout the community.
Service: We are here to serve our clients and community.
LFCHD provides a wide range of public health services for the community, including restaurant inspections, flu shots, HANDS visits for moms and dads, diabetes prevention/management, training to licensed child care providers, nutrition through the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program, school health, a needle exchange program to fight the spread of hepatitis C and HIV, and much more. Visit wwww.lexingtonhealthdepartment.org to learn more about LFCHD!
Job Skills / Requirements
The PRN Nurse Specialist School Health is a position the provides mandated public health services for the public school system. May be required as needed during community events such as flu clinics and emergency response events. This position is posted and filled on an on-going basis.
The Nurse Specialist PRN is standby and work hours as needed.
The pay range $21.10-$25.30 per hour to commensurate with experience.
The PRN Nurse Specialist School Health provides various nursing services on any given day focusing on the prevention of illness, injury or disability, the promotion of health, and maintenance of individuals and populations. The incumbent works independently within the agency following the guidelines contained in the current Core Clinical Services Guide (CCSG). Services in the school setting include but are not limited to the following: mandated public health and school health services that includes treatment coverage, vision screenings, immunization consultation, medication training and monitoring, health fairs and group health events, Medicaid billing (when applicable), documentation of student visits and data entry.
SCHOOL HEALTH DUTIES: Provides mandated public health services for the public school system.
Provides school health services as follows:
· Treatment coverage (diabetic management such as blood glucose check, carbohydrate calculation and insulin administration; urinary catheter insertion/removal such as in-and-out catheter procedures, etc.)
· Immunization consultation.
· Assists with the training of core school staff, unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP) for daily medication administration and emergency medication.
· Assists with the training of core school staff for conditions/care of students with chronic illnesses.
· Assists with as needed Medication Administration Record (MAR) review and follow-up.
· Utilizes Infinite Campus for data entry of immunizations/screenings, sick visits, and data entry consisting of condition flags placed and updated for students with health conditions.
· Participates in KDE mandated vision screening events for K, 1, 3 & 5 and assist with vision screenings for IEP/ ARCs (as time permits).
· Provides or assists in providing a variety of preventative public health nursing services in the community including school health services, immunizations, communicable disease screenings and communicable disease surveillance and management, individual assessment and community assessments, and other health conditions in the home or community settings to particular at-risk or high-risk populations or populations with limited access to care.
· Assists with health fairs/rallies and health classes.
· Identifies cultural, social, and behavioral factors that impact delivery of services.
· Assesses eligibility for health department programs as appropriate.
· Assesses needs of patients and refers to appropriate community agency as needed.
· Assesses and acts appropriately to chemical and biological exposures.
· Provides health care teaching-preventive and therapeutic- appropriate to educational level (and language barriers) and documents in medical record.
· Participates in Fluoride Varnish application events.
· Delegates to trained school personnel medication administration.
· Provides case management by acting as liaison between parent/guardian and physician responsible for student’s health condition. Participates as patient/family advocate.
· Attends mandatory School Health staff meetings or reviews the meeting minutes and acknowledges in writing (e.g., email) that the minutes were reviewed and submits any questions regarding meeting minutes in writing to school health leadership.
· Maintains updated CPR/AED/OSHA/FEMA/ HIV knowledge.
· Attends First aid training and other training as necessary per program requirement.
· Participates in special projects as needed.
Must be a Registered Nurse with active Kentucky nursing license. Current hands-on CPR required.
One (1) year of experience and a nursing degree (ADN, BSN Masters) or Nursing Diploma. Experience working as a RN or LPN in one (1) of the following areas: school health; pediatric care in hospital, clinic, ER or urgent care, home health, or public agency such as health department.
Education Requirements (Any)
NURSESTDBY: Nursing Diploma, Associates Degree in Nursing, or Bachelors Degree in Nursing, or Masters Degree in Nursing or related field.
Certification Requirements (All)
Valid Registered Nursing License
Additional Information / Benefits
PRN as needed not benefits eligible.
The Nurse Specialist School Health is an on-going Registered Nurse (RN) PRN pool of candidates. Selected candidates must maintain the following to remain in good standing as viable PRN status:
Participate in quarter;y PRN nurse staff meetings (through on-site, join meeting by telephone, or review and sign off on meeting minutes)
Provide monthly schedule for work availability before the 1st of each month
Accept 75% of offered assignments (based on schedule availability provided by employee)
This job reports to the Departmental Team Leader or Manager
This is a As Needed position 1st Shift.