The Lexington-Fayette County Health Department (LFCHD) is an independent public health agency charged with helping Lexington be well since 1904 and proudly nationally accredited since 2014.
Vision: We will move Lexington toward being one of the healthiest communities in the nation.
Mission: Helping Lexington be well.
Values: We commit to being...
Caring: We will treat our clients, community and coworkers with compassion and kindness.
Accountable: We will respect all individuals without bias and value their uniqueness.
Respectful: We will respect all individuals without bias and value their uniqueness.
Equitable: We will provide services and care equitably to all of our clients throughout the community.
Service: We are here to serve our clients and community.
LFCHD provides a wide range of public health services for the community, including restaurant inspections, flu shots, HANDS visits for moms and dads, diabetes prevention/management, training to licensed child care providers, nutrition through the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program, school health, a needle exchange program to fight the spread of hepatitis C and HIV, and much more. Visit wwww.lexingtonhealthdepartment.org to learn more about LFCHD!
Full time, 37.5 hours per week position; $15.5292 per hour.
Performs entry level duties in investigating, locating, interviewing, counseling, and educating persons exposed to, infected with, or testing positive for sexually transmitted disease (STDs). Conducts educational sessions and condom distribution to high-risk populations within the jurisdictions served.
Some of the essential duties performed are:
• Interviews known patients with STD in clinical and field settings to obtain information about sexual contacts, suspects, and associates as the means to identify the source and possible spread to others who may have developed or be incubating disease as a result of exposure to the patient.
• Locates and refers for examination, medical assessment, and treatment as necessary all contacts, suspects, and associates in a prompt manner using motivational techniques so as to promote disease intervention and case prevention.
• After appropriate training, analyzes epidemiologic factors fo STD cases; recognizes problems, and conducts necessary follow-up measures to improve case management.
• Provides pre-test and post-test counseling for indivuals seeking testing for antibody to Human immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).
• Learns to perform venipuncture to collect blood samples from patients for appropriate testing.
• Conducts visitations and consultations with physicians, hospital personnel, and laboratory staff to stimulate rapid case reporting, and obtain permission to follow up and manage diagnosed cases.
• Assists in the presentation of educational programs designed to reach groups at high-risk for STDs, community groups, the generali public, and heatlh care workers in the public and private sector.
• Procures and maintains inventory of testing supplies and condoms. Distributes condoms to high-risk populations in the community.
• Maintains confidential records; prepares and submits a variety of epidemiologic and statistical reports.
The minimum education/training to perform this job is:
Bachelor’s degree (B.S. or B.A.) in Social Work or Public Health; or and Associate’s degree in a related field plus 3 years of experience; or HS/GED plus 6 years of related experience. No experience required if acceptable Bachelor’s degree; otherwise requires experience with patient/client interviewing activities, community health, teaching, counseling, or health education. Within 3 months of appointment will complete the LFCHD Phlebotomy training and State HIV/Counseling training. Within 6 months of appointment will obtain certification in bloodborne pathogens, phlebotomy, Hepatitis C testing, HIV pre-test counseling via training provided by LFCHD. Within one year of appointment, will complete STD intervention Specialist course (1-week).
This position requires daily driving locally or statewide to and from work assignments; requires current and valid driver's license and use of personal transportation to and from job assignments.
Candidates may apply online at www.lexingtonhealthdepartment.org
DISREP: Bachelors Degree in Social Work or Public Health or Associates Degree in related field or HS/GED
Lexington-Fayette County Health Department (LFCHD) offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time and part-time eligible employees, including paid time off (annual and sick leave accruals).
Employee benefits summary:
Four medical plans are offered, so you can select the coverage that best meets your needs. Two plan options include an employer-funded health reimbursement account.
Employees who waive medical coverage are eligible for an employer-funded health reimbursement account that receives $175 per month.
Dental Insurance (Enhanced and Basic Plans offered).
Vision insurance provides coverage for eye exams, frames, lenses, and contacts.
Other benefits incentives: Basic life insurance and long term disability; Cafeteria plans; Wellness program, Employee assistance program; paid holidays; paid annual leave and paid sick leave; and Tuition reimbursement program.
Kentucky Employees' Retirement System (New benefit eligible employees will participate in a defined benefit pension plan known as Cash Balance Plan. The account earns 4% interest on both the member contribution and the Employer Pay Credit Balance at the end of the fiscal year. When the member is eligible to retire, the retirement benefit is calculated based on the member's accumulated account balance).
Kentucky Deferred Compensation
(Employees may elect to participate in supplemental retirement plans such as tax deferred 401K, Roth 401K, 457, Traditional IRA, and Roth IRA accounts).
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan, Pension/Retirement, Educational Assistance
Screening Requirements: Drug Screen, Criminal Background Check
This job reports to the Team Leader Infectious Disease
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1