Helping You Be Well...
The Lexington-Fayette County Health Department (LFCHD) is an independent public health agency charged with helping Lexington be well since 1904 and proudly nationally accredited since 2014. Vision: The Lexington-Fayette County Health Department is a recognized leader in health promotion, health protection, personal health care and prevention of disease. Mission: The Lexington-Fayette County Health Department will improve the health of the community. In 2014 LFCHD became nationally accredited by the Public Health Accreditation Board, continued quality improvement, vaccinated 216 children, provided nutritious foods, education and referrals, provided safe and sanitary establishments when dining out, enforced the Clean Indoor Act, protected 462 Lexington pets against rabies and protected 1,921 Lexingtonians against the flu. Additionally, LFCHD responded to more than 800 reports of disease and illnesses in Fayette County, provided 2,951 TB clinical service visits, provided 5,596 HANDS home visits to first-time moms and dads, promoted the evidenced-based diabetes prevention program, provided training to about 600 licensed child care providers, improved the nutrition of adults and children, helped individuals quit using tobacco, eliminated health inequities, remained attentive to the health of more than 40,000 public school students, and was awarded with a Bluegrass Wellness at Work Healthiest Places to Work Award. LFCHD is committed to providing essential Public Health services and we employ a diversified staff of approximately 150 employees.
This position is $12.35 per hour, full comprehensive benefits package.
37.5 hours per week, Monday thru Friday work week.
Provides clerical and administrative support functions to department’s Public Health Clinical, Community Program Operations and WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) Services. Clerks are cross-trained to function at any given time In the Public Health Clinic and WIC Program with back-up support for Presumptive Eligibility.
Examples of work include: schedules patient appointments; greets clients; routes clientele, conducts patient/client interviews, determines clients’ financial status; completes registration forms; prepares and maintains client health record, collects service fees and processes patient bills, conducts community outreach activities, and makes referrals according to program procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Performs financial screenings of pregnant women, breastfeeding women, postpartum women, infants or children up to five (5) years of age to determine eligibility for the WIC program according to State and Federal regulations. Explains the WIC program to clients as required by State and Federal regulations and documents proof of eligibility.
• Accurately maintains patient appointment system. Verifies patient/client appointments, schedules initial and return appointments. Initiates/conducts appointment reminders and documents missed appointments
• Initiates and maintains patient/client health record according to department/division standards.
• Registers clients for WIC and clinic services programs by obtaining and verifying required demographic and financial information including income information to determine eligibility for services/pay status based on established standards.
• Accurately enters patient encounter forms. Demonstrate knowledge of computer-generated reports and labels. ICD-10 data entry/billing accurately to ensure correct fees billed and collected from patients.
• Accurately run weekly and monthly reports as required by State WIC guidelines.
• Mail notifications and reminder letters to participants. Make reminder phone calls for appointments.
• Performs routine duties pertaining to position such as assisting in all administrative support functions of WIC and Public Health Clinic, performing duties of other staff members when necessary due to absences, attends staff meetings, issues and receives Verification of Certification forms, assists in audits and needs assessments as needed, assists in training new employees, and adheres to health department policy on client confidentiality.
• Acts as patient/client receptionist. Greets patients, initiates and distributes appropriate forms and answers telephone and channel calls to the appropriate staff or takes accurate messages.
• Collects and processes service fees. Including: reconciles daily cash collected with receipts issued, cash drawer, encounter forms or other billing documents, and computer-generated reports; forwards cash and receipts to Accounting on a daily basis for deposit; and processes patient billing information. Collects past-due bills, payment plans, and processes donations.
• Insurance processing/verification of eligibility (Private insurance, Medicare, Medicaid (5 MCO’s: Passport, Humana Caresource, Wellcare, Coventry, Anthem)
• Asses the patient/client needs based on clinic processes and services offered in PH Clinic (INS paperwork, immunizations, rabies, TB, contract immunizations, STD, pregnancy testing, presumptive eligibility, family planning, HAP nutrition & diabetes, ECP, flu, etc).
• Track data and run existing reports for Public Health metrics and required reporting. Assists other departments on a clinical level. Communicable disease, HAP. (register patients, collect money, schedule appointments)
• Provides administrative support for departments conducting community activities (ex: Flu Clinic and outreach)
• Assists team leaders and coordinators with projects, gathering information, organizing and compiling material
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school graduate (or GED) and 1 year of closely related experience in any of the following capacity: business or public administrative experience in a medical, hospital or public health office environment using electronic office equipment and professional software; 6 months of additional education (college or vocational) in business education, medically related field or nutrition/health education may substitute for the 1 year of experience;
OR High school graduate (or GED) and at least 6 months of WIC experience demonstrated within the last 3 years of employment and 6 months of customer service related experience in a business or public administrative experience in a medical, hospital or public health office environment using electronic office equipment.
Experience handling cash.
High School Diploma/GED
Lexington-Fayette County Health Department (LFCHD) offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time and part-time eligible employees, including paid time off (annual and sick leave accruals).
Employee benefits summary:
Medical insurance (Classic, Premium, and Investor plans offered; the Investor plan includes an HSA account that has employer contributions annually for single coverage).
Buy Back Benefit Option is offered to employees who waive insurance coverage.
Dental Insurance (Enhanced and Basic Plans offered).
Vision Insurance (Basic coverage thru medical plan and Eye Med supplemental vision insurance offered).
Other benefits incentives: Basic life insurance and long term disability; Cafeteria plans; Wellness program, Employee assistance program; paid holidays; paid annual leave and paid sick leave; and Tuition reimbursement program.
Kentucky Employees' Retirement System (New benefit eligible employees will participate in a defined benefit pension plan known as Cash Balance Plan. The account earns 4% interest on both the member contribution and the Employer Pay Credit Balance at the end of the fiscal year. When the member is eligible to retire, the retirement benefit is calculated based on the member's accumulated account balance).
Kentucky Deferred Compensation
(Employees may elect to participate in supplemental retirement plans such as tax deferred 401K, Roth 401K, 457, Traditional IRA, and Roth IRA accounts).
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance
Screening Requirements: Drug Screen, Criminal Background Check
This job reports to the Team Leader Business Services and Nutrition
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1