As the nation’s leading nonprofit organization committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y offers more than just a job. We offer you a career with a future and the chance to make a lasting difference in your community.
This position, in partnership with the entire branch leadership team, will direct efforts to increase member engagement, help members reach their health goals, and build relationships through wellness program development. The Senior Healthy Living Director is responsible for: implementing ongoing tactics to engage new and returning members, supporting health and wellness goals through innovative programs and services, and building and directly supervising the healthy living department team.
The Senior Healthy Living Director takes an active role in the branch’s Annual Giving Campaign, including donor and volunteer cultivation. Improving the health and wellness of the community we serve and relationship building with members is a high priority, as is the impact it has on member retention. The ideal candidate must have the ability to lead a team of wellness professionals and communicate and engage with co-workers, members, associates, volunteers, donors and the general public.
Job Skills / Requirements
- Understand, articulate, demonstrate and promote the mission of the YMCA at all times
- Communicate our image using the Y’s Voice: Genuine, Nurturing, Hopeful, Welcoming, and Determined
- Demonstrated skill in communication, decision making, resource management, and leadership
- Excellent communication skills, utilizing both verbal and electronic communications
- Innovative program development skills with a focus on meeting community needs and demand
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science/Physiology preferred or minimum of two years proven experience working in fitness related field
- Current Group Fitness Instructor certification by accredited national organization is preferred for this position to be successful
- Prior supervisory experience
- Current Personal Training certification by accredited national organization is preferred
- CPR and first aid certification course (30 days post hire)
- Uphold the mission of the YMCA, and demonstrate behaviors that reflect a determined, nurturing, genuine, hopeful, and welcoming nature.
- Serves as a role model and advocate of the YMCA Mission, Promise, Values and Voice.
- Recruiting, hiring, supervising and evaluating Healthy Living Coaches and Group Fitness Instructors. Develops an effective and mission-driven team, focused on healthy living.
- Daily operations of the Wellness Center, including staff supervision, member engagement, equipment maintenance, cleanliness and safety.
- Daily operations of the Group Fitness Program, including teaching classes, developing monthly class schedules and group fitness instructor communication.
- Leads a team of Personal Trainers that provide high quality personal training to meet the specific needs of members.
- Implements Healthy Living strategies that support the engagement and retention of existing members.
- Develops and leads new member connection and education efforts such as Smart Start appointments, group workouts, special events, etc.
- Creates member focused culture and models relationship-building skills in all interactions. Fosters a climate of innovation and resolves problems to ensure member satisfaction.
- Assists in creating and implementing high quality health and wellness programs and services, including Livestrong at the YMCA, which support branch and association mission, goals and strategies.
- Cross promotes membership and other branch programming.
- Takes a leadership role in the Annual Giving Campaign and ongoing volunteer and donor cultivation.
- Participates in staff meetings and/or related meetings.
- Completes required abuse risk management training. Adheres to policies and procedures related to appropriate boundaries with children. Monitors building, staff and members and reports suspicious or inappropriate behaviors and policy violations to supervisor. Follows mandated reporting requirements to authorities.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Supervision of Group Ex Program, with 1 PT Coordinator and approximately 20+ Group Fitness Instructors
- Supervision of approximately 10+ Healthy Living Coaches
- Supervision of approximately 6+ Personal Trainers
- Provide leadership support for Norton Y@Work location and collaborate with GEA Y@Work team
- Must successfully manage a $250,000 annual budget, serving close to 5,200 members
- Effectively manage 7 level fitness facility (100,000+ sf)
- Maintain all records related to the staff certifications and general operations
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Noise level-High
- Multi-tasking environment
- Exposure to electrical/mechanical mechanisms
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and work at face paced environment
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
Successful performance in this position results in quality member engagement and relationship building among staff, members, program participants and volunteers. Supporting the YMCA’s mission by reflecting the characteristics of welcoming, nurturing, genuine, determined, and hopeful. Ensuring facility cleanliness and fitness equipment are ready for member use and looking its best.
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt - Must be available to work evenings and weekends
STARTING SALARY: $47,000 (commensurate with experience)
Education Requirements (Any)
High School Diploma or the equivalent
Additional Information / Benefits
The YMCA of Greater Louisville maintains a strong commitment to training and professional development, and has been recognized as a 2011 “Top Work Place.” An excellent benefits package is offered including Health with dental & vision options and 12% Retirement contribution paid by the YMCA. As a YMCA team member you will receive a community-wide family membership upon completion of New Employee Orientation, and Y program discounts.
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan, Pension/Retirement, Community wide individual membership
This job reports to the Executive Director
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift, 2nd Shift, Weekends.
Number of Openings for this position: 1